‘Good health: more important than diamonds!’
comment from a focus group participant NMLL Health Literacy and Needs Project, August 2012
In 2012, NMLL undertook a Health Literacy and Needs Project with funding from City of Melbourne Community Grants Program.
Our research shows that many gaps in understanding and barriers still exist for the CALD community in accessing health services, including:
- A lack of knowledge of allied health services;
- A lack of available translated health materials for the CALD community;
- A lack of knowledge of how use and access of translators and interpreters when accessing health services;
- A lack of understanding in some sections of the CALD community of their rights as a health consumer.
- A lack of knowledge of important health support programs (such as telephone helplines and after hour locum services).
Download a copy of the Final Report here: NMLL Health Literacy and Needs Report “Good health is more important than diamonds”.
Download a copy of the Key Stakeholder Forum PowerPoint slides here: Key stakeholder Forum Presentation NMLL Health Literacy and Needs Project “Good health is more important than diamonds”
This NMLL project has produced many outcomes, including the production of the flyer “How to use an interpreter when calling telephone helplines?” in nine different languages.
To download copies of this flyer click on the preferred language below:
Please ensure you always distribute the translated flyer with the English version as requested by our project participants